Service is a foundational principle of the Twelve Step Program, and opportunities for service abound at multiple levels.
We serve one another through friendship, sponsorship, and accountability. In this way we help each other recover.
We serve our local groups…
- by making sure we have places to meet that are safe and comfortable.
- by stocking program literature and supplies to be readily available for members.
- by establishing and maintaining bank accounts, mailing addresses, telephone answering services, and perhaps local websites to make our meetings accessible to the addicts in our community who are still suffering.
- by developing outreach programs for our own local area.
We serve the fellowship-at-large…
- by maintaining a central office – the International Service Organization (ISO) of SAA – which provides a wide variety of services to benefit individual members and the fellowship as a whole, including publication of SAA literature and maintenance of this SAA website.
- as delegates to the international conference, representing our local groups.
- voluntarily on regional, national, and international boards and committees in support of the fellowship.
Service is, indeed, the engine that drives recovery from addiction at all levels within SAA.